161. _____ Blockade A closing off of an area to keep people or supplies from going in or out.
162. _____Embargo : A government order that stops merchant ships from leaving or entering a countries ports; ending of trade.
163. _____ Isolationism : Policy of avoiding political or military agreements with other countries. Precedent set by George Washington.
164. _____ 12th Amendment : Law that set up the Electoral College to elect the president through a system of elected representatives based on state populations.
165. _____Democratic-Republicans : Political party who favored a strict interpretation of the constitution which limited the powers of the federal government and enhanced states’ rights
166. _____ Federalist : Political party who favored a strong federal (central) government.
167. _____Nullify : To refuse to recognize a federal law; ignore or deem void.
168. _____ State’s Rights theory: Policy where states could nullify any federal law they found unconstitutional.
169. ____John Adams: 1ST Vice President and 2nd President of the USA. He was a founding father, signed the Alien and Sedition acts and dealt with the XYZ affair
170. _____Thomas Jefferson2nd Vice President and 3rd President of the USA. He was a founding
father who wrote the Declaration of Independence, sent Lewis and Clark on their expedition, and purchased the Louisiana Territory.