2.6 Vocab Definitions for #61-70
61. _____ Declaration of Independence: Document written to King George declaring the American colonies independent and giving their reasoning for leaving.
62. _____ impel: To urge or drive forward
63. _____ Thomas Jefferson: Principal author of the Declaration of Independence, one of the founding fathers, and foreign minister to France during their revolution.
64. _____Thomas Gage: British general who served as military commander in the early days of the American Revolution
65. _____ Charles Cornwallis: Leader of the British troops at the end of the war. He is the one who surrenders to the American troops.
66. _____ George Washington: Leader of the American Continental Army. Once a British soldier, but who now backs independence and has the intense loyalty of his troops
67. _____Olive Branch Petition: A petition to King George that asked to end the argument and make peace, but before it reaches him, King George has labeled the colonies to be in a state of rebellion
68. _____Mercenaries: Professional soldiers who fight for anyone who will pay them
69. _____ Hessians: German mercenaries who were well trained sent to fight for the British.
70. _____ Ally: A nation that joins another nation in some common effort, such as winning a war. It can lend help by money, troops, supplies, and political sway.