Cycle 1: Unit 1: Native Americans and the Great Convergence.
This unit covers the Age of Exploration. We will review basic geography concepts, the Native Americans, and the shift in Europe that leads to the explorers traveling to America. We then move to colonization of America and its impact on the globe.
Cycle 1 Unit 1 Native American Assessment:1a. Native Americans: How do Native American Tribes adapt and alter their environment to suit their needs? After reading texts, taking notes, and analyzing pictures and maps, students will explain ONE region’s cultural aspects and how they are adaptations or modifications to their environment.
Enrichment Activities. Based on time.
Native American Regions project
(optional based on time availability) I can explain the Native American mascot controversy and give evidence to support my opinion.
I can analyze how Native Americans adapted to their geography. Enrichment activity, based on time.
Age of Exploration Enrichment Project
7. I can explain the causes of the Age of Exploration.
8. I can explain how advances in technology led to the Age of Exploration.
9. I can explain the causes of the age of exploration and the accomplishments of key explorers
11. I can describe the Columbian Exchange and its impact with examples.
12. I can explain the positive and negative impacts of the Great Convergence.
14. I can judge whether Christopher Columbus is a hero or villain.
Columbian exchange extension activities. Based on time available